25 July 2008

making lemons into lemonade... with a dash of ginger.




Lovely, blessed heat of the sun today; oh, do I relish it. I can't abide by this lukewarm excuse for summer. It's like a slap on the ass after taking a severe caning.

I had my first round of acupuncture and acupressure massage, along with lovely moxibustion on my belly today. My ears are ringing nicely and I feel ebullient for the first time in weeks. I was moping around the place, bogging down drastically in my reading about endometriosis and how much I have to look forward to for the rest of my life, and today's change in my mental state is very welcome. The weather, of course, helps quite a bit. It's always easier to convalesce from surgery when it can be done on a lounger in the garden, surrounded by the blooming and fruiting efforts of spring.


home-grown peas and strawberries!


We attended a wedding in Kerry this week, my first Irish wedding. It was a lovely occasion, as most second or third-time-around weddings tend to be. It was a civil ceremony in a hotel which is very unusual for the likes of Ireland, and especially rural Ireland. However, since passing an act in 2004, it's now possible to be married outside of a church by a registrar. It was fabulous. Short, concise, to the point ceremony with none of the fancy footwork, and then an enjoyable feast and gathering for the rest of the day. People took turns singing, playing instruments and giving outstanding recitations, the likes of which one could simply never convey properly how clever and witty they were (and why oh why didn't I bring my video camera out of my hotel room to capture some of them, I have no idea). I heard some of the most magnificent banjo playing I have ever encountered. There was no throbbing dance music, no chicken dance or hokey-pokey, no taffeta bridesmaids, no excess of drink or aching feet, just a lovely sit down and chat kind of really enjoyable night. Perfect.

There's something so nice about getting out of the greater Dublin area to remind ourselves about how the other half lives far away from the designer handbag toting, multi-million Euro detatched house having, Chelsea tractor driving, yummy ladies-who-lunch scenario. It pleasant to be reminded that life isn't all daft everywhere all of the time.

So onward and upward. Recovery mode is speeding. If I can get at least one more dose of good sun in before the summer's end, I'll be laughing.



No comments: