31 January 2009

is it any wonder simon cowell is the king of the hit parade?

This week's Guardian Weekend Magazine features interviews with celebrities conducted by children, and of course to hilarious effect.

Simon Cowell, mastermind of so many TV talent shows and conjurer of so many chart topping "bands", was in the chair. I'll bet, however, that his interviewer, little Francesca Gallio (age 11), has no idea what she conjured out of Cowell [Could it have been a latent confession? A boyhood fantasy? A subconscious admission to having been a fan once, instead of a ringmaster?] when he answered her eighth question.

"If you had a party and could invite three celebrities, who would they be?"

"Oh God, Francesca," Cowell countered, undoubtedly imagining the tabloid real estate he could gain out of getting this one juuuust right, "Again, this is going to get me into a lot of trouble, isn't it?! Ok, three celebrities. Um. Bill Clinton."

Check, I think to myself.

"Um. Me. [Francesca laughs]"

Check... egotistical, unimaginative, yes... but, none the less, Check!

"And you've got to have a girl, um... Who would I like to meet? There was an actress in a film called Woman In Red - you wouldn't remember - her name's Kelly LeBrock."

Showing your age there, Simon, but she was hot... Check.

"So it would be Kelly LeBrock, me and Bill Clinton."

And I think to myself, Woman In Red?! Simon, you just successfully created the long awaited sequel to this 80's classic, you Pop Culture Magnate, you:

No comments: