21 December 2008

o, thou unholy ringtone


The other day I was drifting about our village, in full festive mood, trying to get a few little things for my family when all of a sudden, while browsing in the bookstore, my inner peace was pierced by a very loud rendition of the 007 theme that came wafting out of my handbag. You know how it starts, like a melodramatic fanfare, "DAH-DAT! DAH-DAT! DAH-DAT-TA-DAH-DAT!!"

Did I mention that it was loud?

All heads in the shop turned scornfully toward me, and I think I saw at least one lip curl upward in a sneer. All chat in the shop ceased. Two teenage shoppers, who had previously been bickering over moneys already spent on people and how each was doing the other's head in, snorted and looked at me as if I was the epitome of embarrasing 30somethings trying to make a statement about my youth. A toddler, who had been throwing the mother of all tantrums over a Dora The Explorer book paused in mid-gale.

In the best of times, I have nothing in my hands, and my handbag isn't stuffed full of little things I bought at the Ecoshop (but failed to bring a bag to put them in), and all I have to do is calmly reach in, locate the phone by it's vibration, and hit the silence switch on the side (or answer it). But this was not one of those times.

Armload of books down, handbag parked on a table, stocking stuffers cast about the floor, I rummaged for that damn Bond phone. Of course, the bloody thing is less of a brick than my older phone and for some reason it's narrower profile made it nearly impossible to lay hands on. But finally, triumphanty, I grasped it, I wrenched it out of the bag, and I held it aloft in a gesture of victory for all to see.

And then I pressed the answer button. Everyone in the shop leaned in so they could overhear what kind of conversation required such a fanfare and dramatic exhibition.

"Hello darling... yes, there are clean knickers in the hot press. No, not at all. Chicken soup alright for dinner, dear? Yes, I can get a potato or two. See you later, then, bye bye."

Oh the sheer disappointment around me. My audience rolled their eyes in exasperation at the anticlimax of it all. They made a great showing of turning their backs to me and going back to what they had been doing; browsing, chatting, buying. The cash register began cashing again. The teenagers began bickering again. The toddler began howling again.

As I gathered up my things, an elderly lady bumped me hard from behind with her shopping bag, and as I tripped forward a mother ran over my foot as she navigated past driving her enormous running pram (the ones with the big, nobby wheels that should require an operating license). The lady at the register failed to discount me the sale price of the books I bought.

Based on this event, I have decided it would be preferable to teach my phone to sing something else when someone calls. Something fun, somehting clever, and it can be obnoxious, but perhaps a little more appropriate to my personality, like an old-timey naughty ditty or something. Any suggestions? (Any suggestions refering to the Crazy Frog will be scornfully admonished)


Oh, and Happy Solstice, everyone! We're sailing again into brighter days!




12 comments:

Anonymous said...

why dont you make a custom ringtone with an online app??

Unknown said...

You're taking all the fun out of this. That's not what I asked for.
I have have all the technology I could ever want (bluetooth is a beautiful thing) but it won't pick a theme song for me (which, let's face it, is what your phone plays when it rings). James Bond, I am not. Too many crumpets. So what I am looking for is suggestions as to what tune to use. It's important, you know.
Here... this will explain the importance of theme music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iumPHqIC5jY&feature=related
(skip to 8:00)

StreakShooter McFloorburn said...

How about Hot Nuts, by Lil Johnson (fun, old-timey, but only naughty in the modern context) or Big Rock Candy Mountain (fun, clever, old-timey, not-so-naughty)?

ReadyToShelve said...

The opening arpeggios of "Mr. Sandman" would get everyone in the bookstore humming along. Other random old-timey suggestions:

"Stone Cold Dead In The Market"

"Ain't That A Kick In The Head"

"Falling In Love Again"

"Fascination" (Jane Morgan)

"Eh, Cumpari"

"I've Got A Crush On You"

"Some Enchanted Evening"

"You Send Me"

Irish Cottage Dreams said...

Well, my 16 year old daughter got a hold
of mine and put misc. ringtones on it.
When she calls the phone plays
"Mrs. Brown you've got a lovely daughter".
LOL! Funny kid!

I am thinking you should go for something
from the 30's, 40's or 50's that was scandalous
at the time.... not sure which is right for you
but there's my input. :)


~kimme

Unknown said...

StreakShooter: Oh, scandalous delight!!! I LOVE "Get 'em from the Peanut Man". Went looking for Lil Johnson on lastfm.com and also found Barrel House Annie singing "If it don't fit don't force it cos you'll make yo mama mad". Priceless stuff.

Low Coolant: Great list! I think, actually, that Sandman is a brilliant idea. It's one of those tunes that I wouldn't miss (like so many other songs that you wouldn't hear through the walls of your handbag (or pocket)). I used to use Gorillaz "Dare" and that always got my attention and Sandman would work as well as that one.

Kimme: Haaaa! You're daughter is very kind to outfit you with such an effective and positive message. I should get my dog to sing Happy Birthday for me (as she does every morning) and use that, or get my boyfriend to mention how gorgeous I am and just play that REALLY LOUD.

Hmmm... results!

John said...

Here's a couple suggestions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uorSxiH3VE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk__n5KX5tE

Unknown said...

Oh I do love Billie... and HOLY CRAP, what's with the butcher guy??? A little too Manson, but it's catchy!

It'sGDE said...

I would suggest two extremes: Selections from Carter burwell's score to "no country for old men" or anything by "ABBA". Actually... n/m. flip it to vibrate. AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT ANY APPLE STUFF 4 DIZKOUNTZ, JAA??? ICH KEN NIET BLIJVEN!

It'sGDE said...

HOW ABOUT WINTERGREEN FOR PRESIDENT????

Unknown said...

OH, WOW, I THINK THAT'S A GREAT IDEA!!!

Bongotones said...

Custom ring tones are so much better!!