13 December 2008

my rocky relationship gains a foothold

I have a new obsession. It started off by coming home with a particular rock or two which would have had some distinctive feature, like a single vein of quartz or some sort of irregular colouring. Over the last couple of weeks that fascination has developed into a pocket liner-ripping desire to collect piles of little jewel-like pebbles I've been seeing lately. I have been returning home from my walks on the beach with Lola literally stones heavier. I'm like a magpie, I just can't get enough of them.

I don't know if it's because the winter thus far has been rather bright and I'm only just now noticing them in the sunlight, or because construction on the north beach is turning up lots of new rocks or what, but the pebbles on our beach have been nothing short of spectacular. Maybe they're not as great as they are in my head, maybe this is the tiny portion of Geology I took in university coming forward, determined to become useful to me somehow, but all of the sudden it's like the beach is littered with stones that are begging to be appreciated, taken home, and worn. Call me nuts, and maybe I am, but I'm starting to wonder why I shouldn't open an Irish branch of my mother's new jewellery making venture.


Even when they're not wet, they're still have amazing shapes and colours.


Lola dropped her ball on this bigger stone. For the rest of our walk I looked for another like it and never found one. Isn't it COOL?


I adore the shape of this one. The picture doesn't really do it justice,
it's an absolutely beautiful piece of rock.







Now all I have to do is learn metalwork, how to drill holes in small rocks, and voila! Earthy jewelry for the masses! No sweat.



6 comments:

Unknown said...

They are beautiful! And you're right ... they would make lovely jewelry.

We've collected rocks and stones for years ... they are our "souvenir" from each place we visit. We keep them in a big, lovely bowl and every once in awhile we go through them and try to remember where we got each one. It brings a little of the outdoors, in.

Take Care!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

ReadyToShelve said...

This blog rocks!

yolanda said...

beautiful stuff...

yay creativity! :-D :-D :-D

The Sexy Pedestrian said...

These would make really funky jewelery. I'd buy a ring made with any of the yellow-toned ones if you're making.... !

-Ann said...

I do the same thing - collect rocks. I always think I should catalog or do something with them, at least try to remember which rock came from which beach. But instead they end up as decorations on my windowsills.

How did you get them so shiny? Or did you just find them like that? They really are beautiful.

Unknown said...

:)
I had just wetted them down when I was taking photos of them, so no great leap of technology there, although I intend to spend a little time finding out the best way to either coat or polish rocks like these. I don't really like perfectly polished rocks but if there's a way to do it and keep a little of their idiosyncrasies, that would be excellent!