"Dear Molly, [John Lennon's] message is one that will not go away and I [hope], will never lose it's power and importance. I still can't believe that there have been no tries to impeach bush and cheney. Some justice needs to happen in order to send a message to all future presidents and the American people that this was clear abuse of this office and will not be tolerated and that we need to protect the constitution! I have many rants that I could go on. It amazes me. H was so angry at the democrats in Congress and I reminded him that it should be the American people keeping them in line, and where have we been? This will be an interesting year for the US. I take encouragement from Australia."
Dear L,
I think that's the thing that makes me the most sad about America, and I mean deep down achingly sad. I recall people really caring and speaking out a lot more than they do now and I don't know if my memory's just clouded and skewed, or if it's really true that people today seem to be terribly complacent. It's so hard to swallow.
And then I saw this video [see "war is over"] and my the reasons for my sadness about the demise of America's greatness, and indeed America's bravado and confidence which, once upon a time, it seemed to deserve, were confirmed for me. That video is proof that once there were at least two people in the world who were dedicated to speaking out and unifying like-minded people and they REALLY believed what they said. And they were like spokespeople for the power of the people. Who is there now? No one. Could you imagine Justin Timberlake speaking out against the invasion? Or whoever (you come up with a better name)?
Oddly enough, Ireland's democracy is like America in microcosm, but instead of matters of foreign policy, Ireland suffers form an internal apathy which is almost intolerable. I sit in the evening sometimes and lament the fact that this is where we make our money, we'd be unlikely to do as well financially anywhere else, and are therefore tied to staying in Ireland. This country is so wrapped up by a minority of individuals (big businessmen and politicians) making such good money on the back of being Celtic Tiger Ireland on the back of EU money that they'll never use Ireland's considerable wealth to build schools, hospitals, roads, transport infrastructure, a viable health care system, nothing. They're just going to keep using Ireland until the money's gone and we have nothing to show for having had it.
I only have the gall draw comparisons between America and Ireland because they are both insular democracies that have suffered hard times and had really good times, one is very much tied to the other economically and fancies itself "allll growed up and big just like America", and they are populated with intense consumers who need, want, must have.
And only a tiny minority of people say anything about it in the press, in public, or anywhere about how abused Ireland's political system is because they're still better off than they were back in the famine days. Good lord, could we PLEASE move on from being victims of Cromwellian occupation and famine? For god sake, when Cromwell was around hardly anyone was concerned about the New World and the famine was 150 years ago. Isn't there a statute of limitations? Look at Finland. They suffered a famine, too. And did they get on with it? Yes they did.
Can't anyone think for themselves? Can't anyone in Ireland look around them, see that they can't afford to buy the overpriced house, they have to commute for hours on clogged roads, they have to die on trolleys in hospital corridors, and wonder WHAT THE HELL ARE OUR CROOK POLITICIANS DOING FOR US?
By the way, there's a drawn-out, expensive tribunal in session for years now investigating how our crook Prime Minister, Bertie Ahern, has been working the corrupt democracy here to make a lot of money in cash and defeat the tax and family law system. He was treasury secretary to the most corrupt Prime Minister, Charlie Haughey, who embezzled millions of Irish pounds (worth more than Euro) from Ireland's treasury for his own gain. The tribunal is getting nowhere fast. They keep turning up all this condemning evidence against Ahern and the people have never been outraged at what they're turning up. Decades of corruption in a small country and no one has ever thought to go around with a large group of dissenters to Bertie Ahern's constituency office, which you can walk right into, and say "we've had it, mister, we are your constituency and we're not going to let you away with it anymore". They won't. Too many people are receiving backhanders for keeping the crook in office.
I like what soldiersofdestiny.org wrote because it certainly captures the, erm... flavour of our discontent...:-
Official Announcement
Bertie Ahern today announced that he is changing our emblem from a shamrock to a CONDOM because it more accurately reflects the government's political stance.
A condom allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed.
Is this what's happening in America? Are things good there for all the right people, as in the ones with enough power to benefit form this sheister, Bush? Or Cheney? Where are the people? Where's the critical mass? Am I dreaming that once upon a time in the 60's there was a critical mass? How have we all become so complacent GLOBALLY about violence, corruption and treason?
I just don't understand it.
Celebrities seem to carry prestige currency. I respect The Boss and Neil Young for their outspoken songs. But where's the roundly-loved superstar we need to add fuel to the fire?
I'm so sorry John Lennon's legacy seems to be for naught. It really makes me sad. Really, really.
1 comment:
your comment here regarding Ireland is unfortunately true, and like Blank Paige's http://paigeharrison.wordpress.com/
there were good reading today.
Post a Comment