06 June 2007

analyse this

I had a dream once in which I was walking through a neighborhood of houses at dusk. The streets were soft and grassy instead of paved. Some houses were lit inside, some were ablaze with light and overflowing with people and some were simply dark. I came upon a woman pruning a flowering shrub and asked her where I was, and what was this neighborhood?

She told me that in each house was a dream that humans all over the world have, one dream per house, and that for every single dream ever dreamt by a human there is a house in that neighborhood. She explained that no one really knew it but many of us dream the same dream as other people do night after night. If we were to take a survey across the world of the previous night's dreaming, we would find a lot of people had had the same dream as ourselves last night.

She pointed to a house that was overflowing with people. There was a din coming from the house, but it wasn't noise, it was simply energy. She told me that that house kept a particular dream that a lot of people are having right now.

She pointed to a dark house. That house keeps a dream that no one is dreaming right now.

I wandered off down the cool, grassy street under the faint dusky sky and thought about the collective mind.

--====================--

Last night I dreamt of the town on the mountainside, the city on the volcano. I looked out the window and told my family that it wasn't clouds in the sky anymore, but ash. The mountain was about to explode.

We had nowhere to go, as we were there on the side of the mountain that was about to give way. I put a handkerchief over my baby brother's face to protect his lungs as the swirling skies lowered to meet the ground. It got very dark. We forged ahead and then I heard the crack from above. I looked up to see where the debris would fall, to see if we would escape it. House-sized rocks flew into the sky, fortunately away from us. I pulled my family down against an escarpment and threw myself over them to shield them from the raining pumice.

The mountain belched forth rock again and again as we made our way in a river of people away from the volcano. I scouted ahead, trying to find the best exit through the maze of urban, almost medieval tunnels and narrow pedestrian paths. I looked back to see the mountain crack into two, and half of it broke into pieces and slid away from us down the slope. And as I turned to continue I saw the ground turning to dust in front of me, breaking into slabs and giving way.

We got out somehow. The last thing I remember was daylight, the dust had settled. We looked back at the once familiar line of peaks to see that one had gone down to the nib, like a jagged, broken tooth, and we wondered what to do next.



14 comments:

Natalia said...

Those are some fairly rocking dreams as far as imagery and subtext, eh? I have studied Freud but there is only so much you can explain through penis envy and castration. :)

But I do believe our dreams are the way we work out certain things in our unconscious.

Maybe changes in your life are making you feel like you have decisions to make and like there is some danger ahead.

Or maybe you read something or watched a movie that triggered that.

See, I am no help. Feckin' Freud!

-N

Unknown said...

You're a huge help... I never thought but a volcano is like a penis, no?

Maybe I have penis envy. maybe not. Maybe it's what I read about the Kamchatka Geyser Valley... but I like to think it has to do with Freud... :-)

John said...

Molly, clearly your frustration at not having a penis is boiling over into extreme fits of destructive female energy. It's lucky you don't have any children or you would probably scar them forever with poor mothering skills.

Oddly, before I clicked over to your site, I blogged about a dream today too!

Natalia said...

Damn phallus!

-N

Unknown said...

I think it would be cool to have a little hose to pee through. God it would have come in handy while living in Hansville.

Natalia said...

I know...I think of all the nasty toilets I would be able to pee in but that now I can't. And, honestly, while I am happy as a woman, I'd like to have a penis for a day and experience an erection. :)

-N

John said...

I've heard that you can purchase a product, like a conical paper cup with a hole in the bottom, that let's women pee while standing up... and is disposable.

And as for the erection... I dunno about that, but if you get really turned on, and then have your partner suck on your big toe, it feels an awful lot like having an erect penis fellated.

Natalia said...

Seriously? Conical paper cup with a whole? They think of everything. I am certainly gonna have to research that one.

And maybe I don't have a very sensitive big toe. :(

I still would like to know what an erection feels like. I've had friends and lovers explain it...but it's not good enough.

Oh well... *le sigh*

-N

Natalia said...

Ahhhh got this link

http://www.femalefreedom.ca/

Hehehe. Gotta love google.

-N

Unknown said...

WHAT? I would hope that fellatio would feel a liiiittle bit better than a bloody toe sucking! Otherwise what the hell am I doing?!

That Pmate is soooooo funny! Gosh darn those crazy Canadians... is there nothing they can't do? :-)

John said...

Ack... I never meant to imply that having one's toe sucked was as good as um... the other thing. I'm just saying there's a parallelity in feeling. Like imagine the toe thing... only 100 times better. ;)

But you guys are pretty quick to bash the toe sucking... are you sure you've given it a good try?

Unknown said...

Um, this isn't a judgement on anyone at all... there's never been, in the history of Molly, as much attention paid to my toes as... you know... so, uh. Gack. I feel like I've sullied my blog.

Natalia said...

ROTFL. I am not toe-sucking bashing. I have dated people who paid attention to my feet. And I went with it. It feels nice. And it made them happy.

But, like Molly, I just wouldn't put it on the same level as attention to *ahem* other areas.

:)

-N

John said...

Allow me to point you in the direction of several of my favorite "squish" films.

< looks pervily into the camera >

Sigh... I'm REALLY really not a foot fetishist. Y'all go right ahead and pay attention to those, ahem, other areas all you want! May it bring you boundless joy.
And from now on, I encourage you to think about an erection as you would think about your breasts becoming uncomfortably swollen with milk after having a child.