Dublin, Ireland
I am often reminded of an encounter I had in King Street Station in Seattle while waiting for the Amtrak Cascades to carry me back to Portland. I had exhausted my entertainment options in the waiting room and was reluctant to break out my book, as I was near the end of it and didn't want to finish it before I'd set foot on the train. So after reading the wallboards explaining how the station was to be refurbished, I settled on a bench and began reading the small print on the cover of my ticket. Actually, I think everyone should read that fine print at least once in their lives. You might find stuff you're not so sure about. (and just to note, this was before 2000, so the fine print would have implied far less than it probably would now)
An indian man became intrigued with what I was doing and asked me if I was a lawyer, as no one but a lawyer would bother to read the fine print (he doesn't know ME). We engaged in conversation and I learned that he was from Mumbai. I can't recall what had brought him to the NW but for some reason I eventually related to him that I was the only one in my family who had not been outside of North America. He smiled and said sagely, "Perhaps you haven't been away from home yet because God knows that once you go, it will be very hard to reel you back."
Funny, he was right.
I made the transit across the big water over 3 years ago already. Hard to believe that much time has passed... and hard to believe I haven't been here longer than that. The nice thing is my brother has just moved to the Netherlands so suddenly I'm not all on my own in Europe, for what it's worth. I wonder who's next?
People over the years have asked me from time to time if I get homesick. The honest answer is no. Apart from the occasional pang, which are only so fleeting I don't think they could count as full blown homesickness, there isn't much that I've missed about America. I don't sit around daydreaming about Red Vines, Junior Mints and Good n' Plenty, really good bagels, A1 steak sauce, or . I don't think too much about not having a good breakfast spot, or a coffee shop that's open early. I don't mind that there's no Independence Day or Thanksgiving.
It goes without saying that I miss the company of my friends and family. AND I am making new friends and family. This is a good thing.
So as it happened, I arrived in Ireland, moved in with a wild horsewoman in County Kildare who had a lovely Jack Russel named Millie. We were often mistaken as sisters (me and my flatmate, not me and the dog) and kept each other going through a pretty tough time... you know, clubbing, drinking, dancing with each other as if we were in love to intimidate the boys so they wouldn't bother us. Good times.
And then I met George. He came on the scene when I was trying my hand with assorted dead ends and became a trusted friend after a period of time. We hung out together frequently and after a while, I wasn't bothered seeing anyone else, even though I had no intention of being romantic with my new pal (that would surely ruin everything). Fast forward to today and George and I have been together for just about 3 years. Apparently having a romantic relationship with him wasn't such a bad idea after all. We have decided to buy a house together.But I digress...
I have found my path through Irish immigration by becoming the one and only Moxyfilms, even if only in theory than in actual practice. After thinking I'd be making an annual application to the immigration bureau for renewed business permission, I was granted a further 3 years all in one go just last week. This means that I can stay the limit as I am before qualifying for permanent residency in this country. I don't really know what's required, but as I have three years to figure that out, I won't let it wreck my head just yet. And besides, I might be an Italian citizen in three years time, as my mother, my brother and I are making an application to the Italian government to reclaim our right to citizenship jure sanguinis.
Right, so, nutshell, nutshell, nutshell... suffice it to say a hell of a lot has happened. I am someone new. Thanks to George I have had the great experience of attending some of the most astonishing sporting spectacles all around Europe. (For those of you who haven't met him, this will explain a bit about why) That's been very exciting and something I've grown to enjoy immensly. I joined him in Germany for the World Cup final last July and I'm happy to say we're headed back on Thursday to Stuttgart for a Euro2008 qualifier between Ireland and Germany. I've become very fond of visiting Germany, Munich being my favourite city thus far. However, I have a distinct fascination with Berlin. Must go back and see more of it. And with any luck, we'll be following the Irish squad to Austria and Switzerland two years from now, two countries I really look forward to seeing. Fingers crossed!
Life is good. Maybe I should relate more about what's happened to me, but I'd rather explore other things and let it all come back in it's own time. Until then, here's a portrait of my brother and I taking off for Europe.

2 comments:
Who are the weightless people in the beach photo, puddin' head?
That's a portrait of my brother and I taking off for Europe.
Post a Comment